It’s getting chilly! Time to start making warming and healing foods.
If you have seen my Insta stories this week you would have seen the Bone Broth Shepherd's Pie we made for friends who have just had their second baby.
I have had 2 children (Almost 3!) and wish I knew how imperative it is to rest and relax postpartum. I seemed all too keen to take on the world.
Friends of ours @theglammummy and husband dropped food at our door when our first was born and it was such a treat!
I always think of ways to get food to new Mom’s now. A book I found called #thefirstfortydays talks about the healing power of warm broths and stews with #bonebroth being paramount.
As always, first prize is to make your own but we have taken time and care to make it in the traditional way for it so you can include a cup a day into your life with ease.
We made a double batch of this and froze it in my new glass Vonshef containers (you would have seen on insta stories that I am moving away from plastic altogether).
- 2kg of grass fed minced beef
- 1-4 pouches of The Bone Broth (you can actually add as many pouches as you like and concentrate then down on low heat, slowly)
- The Tallow http://www.red23.co.uk/Organic-Grass-Fed-Beef-Fat-265g_p_3051.html
- 3 cloves of organic garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small bag organic carrots, diced
- 2 bags organic leaks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 4 -6 large organic sweet potatoes/ new potatoes or a mixture of both!
- 1 tablespoon of organic tomato puree
- 2 table spoons grass fed butter (optional for those following paleo diets)
Preheat the oven to 180C. Prick your sweet potatoes and roast whole until soft to prick.
In a large saucepan, brown the mince on medium heat using a spoon of tallow.
Add the garlic and herbs of your choice for the last two minutes of frying. You can add a dash of apple cider vinegar here if you like.
Add a little bone broth to deglaze and cook at the same heat for one minute. Transfer contents to a plate.
In the same pan fry the leaks, onions and carrots until soft (in tallow).
Add this to the mince mixture and mix.
Add the tomato puree and The Bone Broth and mix. Reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or on very low for up to 2 hours.
Transfer contents into a casserole dish. Peel and mash roasted sweet potatoes.
Press the mince into the dish and cover with mash potatoes.
To serve, heat in oven until bubbling and add an additional blob of grass fed butter on top. Serve with pink Himalayan salt.